Best Rain Barrel Diverters
Rain barrel diverters are an essential component of a properly managed rain barrel system. They work by filtering out unwanted debris so that the water that makes it to your rain barrel is clear; they also conduct rain water away from your foundation, which could cause issues down the road. Rain barrel diverters are typically connected from your downspout to your rain barrel, facilitating the proper channeling of rain water.
Save the Rain Water Metal Diverter
Comes in two sizes
Save the Rain Water’s metal rain barrel diverter comes in two different sizes: small and large. The small diverter is 11in x 3in x 2.5in. The large diverter is 11in x 4in x 3in. While the difference in size between the two diverter sizes may seem insignificant, you have to consider the size of your typical downspout and how relatively small it is. When you think about it on that scale, the two different sizes suddenly become highly versatile.
Galvanized steel construction
Galvanized steel is a type of steel that has been coating in zinc, which prevents the steel from rusting. This makes it an excellent construction material for rain diverters because anything exposed to that much water will inevitably rust if it’s not properly treated.
According to Save the Rain Water, the makers of this rain barrel diverter, merely a quarter inch of rain can fill up a 60-gallon rain barrel. If you think about it, that’s quite incredible. And think of this: That is sixty gallons that you don’t have to pay for on your water bill, each time you fill up a barrel that size. If you live in an area where there are water restrictions, this is really important. It may not rain a lot where you live, but when it does, it’s important to stock up while you can.
Easy to install
The manufacturer lists a hacksaw and measuring tape as the only tools needed to install this rain barrel divert. As I’ve said before, I consider easy to assemble rain barrel diverters to be among the best rain barrel diverters, not only because it takes a lot of pressure off, but it typically means they’re easy to disassemble, so you can easily maintain it over a long period of time without it being too much of a chore.
What to like about the Save the Rain Water Metal Diverter:
- Made in Massachusetts, USA
- Inspired by the diverters and barrels used in English gardens, which are world renowned
- The company, Save the Rain Water, has a long history making rain barrels and rain barrel diverters
- Environmentally friendly
- Saves you money on your water bill
- Comes in two sizes for versatility
- Made with rust-resistant galvanized steel for the ultimate in durable construction
What to consider:
- Some find that you have to place the rain barrel close to the house for this rain barrel diverter to work; however, that’s often the case with many brands. For those who find this a problem, they will often create their own “overflow” plan. Since every situation can be a little different, it’s always good to consider your specific needs and develop a plan of action for overflow should it occur.
Rainreserve 2012309 Rain Barrel Basic Rain Diverter
Like any good rain barrel diverter, Rainreserve’s Basic Rain Diverter keeps debris like moldy leaves out of your rain barrel, so that what’s inside is free of large foreign objects that you don’t want getting into your gardening patch when it comes time to water the plants.
One size fits most
The phrase “one size fits most” may sound unsettling at first, but it’s important to note that this is a rounded rain barrel diverter so that the dimensions will differ from comparably-sized square models. But, again, that doesn’t mean it won’t fit. The size of this model is 12in x 6in x 13in. Since it’s round, the width of 6in isn’t as big as it sounds, so it’s best to just measure your downspout and compare it to the diverter.
Enables rain barrel to be further away from the downspout
Because this is a longer, flexible and plastic model, it has some features other rain barrel diverters may not have, and the ability to move your rain barrel away from the downspout is one of them. Remember, runoff close to your house can cause a moldy foundation, so a lot of people like to keep runoff as far away from their home as possible.
Not only is this diverter flexible, but it expands. If you take a look at it, it has a slightly accordion-like appearance. This enables it to stretch and reach further, which is a big part of why you can move your rain barrel further away from the downspout with this model. While flexibility results can vary slightly due to temperature changes and other factors, many people are able to extend theirs to four feet long.
What to like about the Rainreserve 2012309 Rain Barrel Basic Rain Diverter:
- Made in the US
- Filters out debris
- Enables you to place barrel away from your house
- One size fits most downspouts
What to consider:
- Made from plastic: Some people are anti-plastic, as some plastics have been known to leech into whatever they’re containing. However, it’s important to stress that rain barrel water isn’t meant to be drunk by humans or pets, so this isn’t really a huge deal for most. Another downside to plastic is that it deteriorates in extreme temperatures, the primary concern being cracking in winter.
- Some find the hose doesn’t fit well, however most don’t, so this may be a quality control issue with a certain batch, in which case you should contact customer service if you’re one of the few unlucky ones. Remember, they don’t find out about this stuff unless someone reports it, so you’re doing yourself, your fellow customers and the company a favor when you report issues like that.
Oatey 14209 Mystic Rainwater Collection System
Ideal for most downspouts
The Oatey Mystic Rainwater Collection System is designed to fit 2in x 3in downspouts, which tends to be the standard size for residential homes, so it should work for most people.
The plastic in Oatey’s rain barrel diverter is a step up from the rest; it’s PVC plastic that is resistant to ultraviolet rays. Remember, this is a harmful type of radiation. While it damages human skin, it can also mess with the integrity of inanimate objects, like plastic, so the UV-resistance is a big deal—especially when you consider this will be outside likely year-round.
Aside of the PVC plastic of Oatey’s Mystic Rainwater Collection System being UV-resistant, it’s also paintable. One thing a lot of homeowners hate is a rain barrel diverter that sticks out like a sore thumb. The fact that you can paint Oatey’s diverter is a big point in its favor, because a lot of people don’t want to sacrifice style while being environmentally-friendly these days.
4ft hi-flow hose included
The Oatey Mystic Rainwater Collection system comes with its own 4ft hi-flow hose. This is pretty cool for two reasons: 1) many rain barrel diverters don’t come with additional parts, leaving the customer to come up with their own overflow action plan; and 2) a 4ft hi-flow hose is more than adequate to steer runoff away from your house, keeping everything nice and dry.
What to like about the Oatey 14209 Mystic Rainwater Collection System:
- Easy to set up (takes 5 minutes, per manufacturer)
- Easy to maintain
- Comes with its own high capacity runoff hose to prevent overflow
- Made with UV-resistant PVC plastic for durability
- You can paint it, making it more attractive and better-fitted to your home’s aesthetic
What to consider:
- Some have found that the hose arrives kinked. This is a shipping issue and doesn’t affect the overall quality of the product itself, though it can be annoying having to straighten it out again.
The ultimate winner of this roundup is the Save the Rain Water Metal Diverter. What makes it the best is in large part due to its long history in the rain barrel diverter game. The company knows what works and what doesn’t. The construction quality is topnotch and it’s very easy to install and use, making it great for beginners. All of these qualities contribute to the Save the Rain Water Metal Diverter being the best, hands down.